Saturday, February 05, 2011

Weekend built up: 1/48 Testors Travel Air Mystery Ship


Believe it or not... I got this kit for only RM12.90 at local hobby shop few years back. I got it together with another Testors kit 1/48th Mr. Mulligan DGA6 (RM9.90). Yes!! it is DIRT CHEAP!!.. even for a simple model. Nothing fancy about the kit. But it is an interesting subject.

I started the kit long time ago. Glued and sanded and leave it in the box ready for painting. I only started recorded the built up just recently... so let's see the progress...

Out of the box.. after few years in the box..

I like to challenge the result of my Zlin built up and proof that I can get glass like finished by using Tamiya acrylic... So the model was painted accordingly. Same process apply as my Zlin 50.

same o same o... gritty finish... 



So now let's take to the next level... second color..

Gritty...gritty surface

after remove the masking tape, the paint become uneven due to masking tape adhesive to clingy to the surface...

on my Zlin, I apply semi gloss coat at this stage... I did some changes on the method and take a drastic measure to get deep glossy finish...

I lightly sanded using Tamiya 1200 grit sandpaper and polish with Model Wax.

The model wax is petroleum based and actually erode the paint... so i have to be very careful when apply the wax.. not too much and not too hard when polish the model.

the first polished cycle. Few more to go to deepens the paint for the gloss effect.


3 comments:

kf.B said...

dedicate this built up to my beloved sis..Midget..

Pat said...

Your aircraft is beautiful.Nice job
I built the same now.

How to paint the black with a perfect cut ?

thanks

kf.B said...

Hi Pat, I'm using Tamiya masking tape and carefully scoring the design with a sharpen pencil first. The kit engraved line is deep enough (I sanded the area a bit for more realistic effect) and just cut follow the panel lines carefully. It's easy if you score with sharp blade. After painting I use (acrylic) black marker pen to refine the black design. Keep on tuning in for the rigging process... leave me with more headache :(